Skip To Main Content

Parent Information




Families that are experiencing difficult times with purchasing some and/or all supplies needed for their student/s, please contact the Principal/Superintendent Ast, and she will help with these purchases through the Pine Strawberry Elementary School Districts Needs Kids Funds.  

If you need further assistance, call the National Center for Homeless Education: 1-800-308-2145

If your family lives in any of the following situations:

  • In a shelter
  • In a motel or campground due to the lack of an alternative adequate accommodation
  • In a car, park, abandoned building, or bus or train station
  • Doubled up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship

Your school-age children may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.

Your eligible children have the right to:
• Receive a free, appropriate public education.
• Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
• Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
• Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled) if that is your preference.
* If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision.
• Receive transportation to and from the school of origin if you request this.
• Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children’s needs.

When you move, you should do the following:

  • Contact the school district's local liaison for homeless education (see phone number below) for help in enrolling your child in a new school or arranging for your child to continue in his or her former school. (Or, someone at a shelter, social services office, or the school can direct you to the person you need to contact.)
  • Contact the school and provide any information you think will assist the teachers in helping your child adjust to new circumstances.
  • Ask the local liaison for homeless education, the shelter provider, or a social worker for assistance with clothing and supplies, if needed.

Homeless Liaison: Megan Ward / (928) 476-3283 /


Move On When Reading Letter
MOWR Contact: MaryAnn Runzo /


Parents Rights

1. The right to direct the education of the minor child.
2. The right to access and review all records relating to the minor child.
3. The right to direct the upbringing of the minor child.
4. The right to direct the moral or religious training of the minor child.
5. The right to make all health care decisions for the minor child.
6. The right to request access and review all written and electronic medical records of the minor child unless otherwise prohibited by law or unless the parent is the subject of an investigation of a crime committed against the minor child and a law enforcement official request that the information not be released.
7. The right to consent in writing before a biometric scan of the minor child is made.
8. The right to consent in writing before any record of the minor child's blood or deoxyribonucleic acid is created, stored or shared, or before any genetic testing is conducted on the minor child.
9. The right to consent in writing before a video or voice recording of the minor child is made, unless the video or voice recording is made during or as a part of a court proceeding, by law enforcement officers during or as part of a law enforcement investigation, during or as part of an interview in a criminal or child safety services investigation or to be used solely for any of the following:
(a) Safety demonstrations, including the maintenance of order and discipline in the common areas of a school or on pupil transportation vehicles.
(b) A purpose related to a legitimate academic or extracurricular activity.
(c) A purpose related to regular classroom instruction.
(d) Security or surveillance of buildings or grounds.
(e) A photo identification card.
10. The right to be notified promptly if an employee of this state, any political subdivision of this state, any other governmental entity or any other institution suspects that a criminal offense has been committed against the minor child by someone other than a parent, unless the incident has first been reported to law enforcement and notification of notifying the parent would impede a law enforcement or child safety services investigation. 
11. The right to obtain information about a child safety services investigation involving the parent.

ADE Parental Rights Handbook